"I took already tickets to home": Sasnovich surprised after defeating Halep at the BNP Paribas OpenBy Oct 12, 2021
Quote of the Day: Cristian Garin learns to love grass courts during Wimbledon breakthroughBy Jul 04, 2022
From COVID to QF: Marie Bouzkova, Elena Rybakina conquer health struggles for career-best WimbledonBy Jul 04, 2022
Liam Broady downplays Nick Kyrgios conduct: “Wimbledon fans love him”By Jul 04, 2022
Dance-off on the line for Daniela Hantuchova and Sania Mirza in latest “Best of Three”By Jul 04, 2022
Advanced Edition: Amanda Anisimova on the brink of second breakthrough at WimbledonBy Jul 04, 2022
(Middle) Sunday Slice: Federer’s Centre Court return, Berrettini back to trainingBy Jul 03, 2022
Quote of the Day: Ons Jabeur beats the traffic to secure second straight Wimbledon quarterfinalBy Jul 03, 2022
Showman Frances Tiafoe bows out in blaze of glory at WimbledonBy Jul 03, 2022
Ashleigh Barty to open tennis academy with coaches Craig Tyzzer, Jason StoltenbergBy Jul 03, 2022
"I took already tickets to home": Sasnovich surprised after defeating Halep at the BNP Paribas Open
The Belarusian will take on her third consecutive Grand Slam champion when she faces Azarenka on Tuesday.
Published Oct 12, 2021
For many players, going up against a Grand Slam champion and former world No. 1 is terrifying. Aliaksandra Sasnovich is no different. That's why she never expected to be moving on to the Round of 16 at the BNP Paribas Open.
During her post-match interview after defeating Simona Halep in straight sets, the Belarusian cracked a joke, claiming that she booked her plane ticket back home after three major champions sat in her quarter of the draw.
"I book already tickets to home," she said after her win. "You never know! 70% chance for her, 30% chance for me to beat, but ok I go and just enjoy...and I won! Wow."
Sasnovich squared off against Halep just once before at Wimbledon in 2019, and she fell in straight sets. This time she managed to post almost an identical scoreline from her grass-court loss to the Romanian, grabbing a 7-5, 6-4 win.
The 27-year-old is having a strong run at Indian Wells, defeating not only the two-time major champion, but the most recent US Open champion Emma Raducanu in the second round.
Now, she has her third major winner to defeat in two-time Slam champ Victoria Azarenka on Tuesday.